Friday, May 02, 2008

The name game

Sometime between the new year and now (don't ask me when, it's all a big blur!), I began trying to teach Fidget about relationships and all the confusion that comes with that. I explained that NWC is her "brother" but he's Mommy and Daddy's "son." She's our "daughter" and NWC's "sister," etc. Along with that, knowing full-well that this would become a prime point to test her boundaries later, I explained to her that Mommy and Daddy have names, too.

A couple of nights later, frustrated that we were trying to get her to sit still and eat her dinner when she'd much rather be playing, she looked at her dad and growled through gritted teeth, "I'm DONE, MARK!" (I so wish I could have a recording of this to put here. The typed words don't do it justice). And what a challenge to keep straight faces when trying to correct that double whammy.

She also pretends to talk on the phone. When asked who she's talking with, on occasion she replies, "Kadie."

And one more: A conversation with Mommy while getting ready for bed:

Mommy: I love you, Fidget."
Fidget: "And you love, Mark."
Mommy: "Yes, I love your Daddy."
Fidget: (so sweetly) "I love Mark!"
Mommy: You mean, you love your daddy."
Fidget: "Yes Mommy, I love Mark, too!" big, huge I gotcha grin on her face.

1 comment:

Rhonda said...

We never really had this issue with Brandon, but Jackie loves saying Marlowe instead of Daddy. Some mornings, she will even wake up and call him - "Marwowe, come get me" in her morning sing song voice. It is hard not to smile when we hear it. :-)