Fidget had her 15 mo. check up on Friday. She grew an inch and gained 1.1 lbs since her 12 mo. check up. So, she's now 32 1/2 inches tall and weighs 22.8 lbs. She's doing well otherwise. The only thing the doctor expressed any concern over was Fidget's talking. I could tell the doc was not the biggest fan of signing. The Doc did say Fidget was doing ok, she just thought she could be talking more by now...that she is relying too much on the signing. Ok, agreed, MAC and I feel the same way. We know that she's way too comfortable with her nah-nah, but Fidget has made major improvement in the last few weeks. She's actually spending more and more time without it during the day. But as we've seen along the way, Fidget has also made it quite clear that she will do things in her own time, and that she still has a need for the comfort of the nah-nah. So, it will be a long process to give it up, but as she does go without it, she babbles more, and she is beginning to mimic us more, when she is in the mood. But I am conciously trying to get her to speak with the signing. Tonight she was asking for a book. So, I asked her to say "book." She looked at me and signed book again. I said, "No, with your mouth. Say it with your mouth." So, she opened her mouth, stuck out her tongue and pointed to her mouth. So, we clearly have a little bit of work to do!
She did have a reaction to one of her immunizations this time, though. By Saturday she had dark red spot, larger than a quarter on her left arm. You could feel the fever in it as well. When we saw it, we were surprised that Fidget wasn't acting any grumpier than she was. Of course, as soon as we saw it, we called the doctor's office, and they had us bring her in. After waiting for an hour and a half, the doctor came in, drew a dotted line around the spot with a sharpie, and told me to give her Tylenol "since that's what Tylenol is good for," and to call them back if it got any larger. Ok...so, we're glad it's nothing worse than that, but seriously, they couldn't have told us to do that on the phone???
And if two days in a row at the doctor's office was not enough, we had to go back again this morning for them to look at her arm and tell us the TB test was negative. At least this time we were only there long enough to take her coat off so that the nurse could see her arm. Then we put her coat back on and headed back out. The looks we got as we put her coat back on and headed out were priceless. She could have been the poster child for confusion.
Sunday, February 04, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Hhmmph. Doctors mean well.
Listen, the signing may or may not (and I lean towards not) be affecting how quickly she starts talking. BUT, my dear Poodle was at least 15 months before she said her first word. And we did NOT sign with her at all!
Some babies are late talkers. And I've read that early physical development (walking, etc), tends to delay talking. At least it has been true with my kids!
BeLIEVE me, once they start, they will NOT quit!
I also don't think the passie is affecting her either. If she gains comfort from it, and it is helping her sleep, then don't mess that up right now. You follow your instincts and don't force something that you know she's not ready for!
Hmmph. Fidget is smart and socialable and loving and adding new tricks every day. Do NOT stress over the talking thing like I did with Poodle. It WILL come - I promise! Sooner than you think!
B was also a late talker, but he was walking at 10 months.We were also concerned that his signing and Spanish speaking nanny were causing him confusion in the language department. My doctor explained it to me this way - kids learn new things at their own pace and they concentrate either on the physical (sitting, crawling, walking, etc.) or the verbal (talking), but very few kids can do both equally. So - B was an early walker and "late" talker. But, when he started talking (and my doctor "warned" me about this) - he said 2 word combinations. He was acutally paying attention to the words, just concentrated more on the physical stuff.
As for the passie - I have no experience for you on that topic. B weaned himself at 6 months. I will never forget, we had to buy him a new one. I gave it to him, he put it in his mouth and immediately pulled it out, gave it back to me and never took one again. J - never took one at all. I take that back, the only time she takes it is when she is teething and she turns it around and chews on the hard plastic handle.
Fidget will do her thing when she is ready. Until then...........ENJOY THE SILENCE!!!! ::grin::
Post a Comment