Friday, February 09, 2007

"Reading"

This has been a frustrating week with naps. I think Fidget has already exhausted her ability to sleep for longer than 30 minutes in her crib for a nap. For a while, it would work for me to sit in her room and read as she lay in the crib and eventually went to sleep (or back to sleep if she'd wakened after only 15-20 minutes), but we haven't been successful with that all week. So, sometimes I'll pick her up and try to rock her back down. No luck with that either.

On Tuesday, I tried to rock her back down. She was still tired, and she was quite happy to snuggle up with me, but after about 5 minutes she sat up and made the sign for bear. I was surprised that she was asking for her bear rather than Kitty, which is her usual snuggle toy. So, I let her get down to get her bear. But instead of picking up the bear, she walked over to her bookshelf and selected Brown Bear, Brown Bear and crawled back up into my lap, opened the book and began to read it to me through sign. For those not familiar with this particular book, it has a picture of a single animal on each page. Fidget would point to the picture, make the sign, look at me, and turn the page. There are a couple of pictures of animals for which she doesn't have a sign, so in those cases, she would point to the animal, look at me, nod her head, and turn the page.

I was so proud, I cried...and Fidget gave me a kiss to make me feel better! :-)

No comments: