Saturday, September 09, 2006

Going up is hard; coming down, even harder.

Finally! Weather nice enough for a hike. Nearly a month ago, we got the necessary gear needed to take Fidget on a hike. Yet, Saturday was the first day that the weather cooperated with our plans. So, we loaded up and headed out to Bear Mtn in New York to do a trail we'd done before. About 4 miles with an elevation of about 1200 feet. The last push is only about 500 feet straight up. :-) But the view is so worth it. We just told ourselves that it won't be that bad...we just push through it. Mark managed to haul Fidget up through 3/4 of the last upward push then he handed her off to me, and I carried her the rest of the way. We stopped for lunch and let Fidget play. Then we started down. I figured it was only fair if I carried Fidget for a while. An extra 30 pounds (really doesn't feel like that much when you put the pack on, I promise!) really does make quite a difference. I made it down through the steep drop, and then he took her back. I was too stubborn to give in and give her back before then, and besides it didn't seem fair that he had her most of the way up. Plus, Fidget had fallen asleep! Now, this is a kid who won't nap, but she can manage to fall asleep in this pack???!!!

Anyway, it was an ambitious hike considering we had not been out in 2 years, and needless to say, we're EXHAUSTED yet proud! It was a great hike, and we're looking forward to more if this weather will cooperate!


























Yes, our own little rapper with the off-set hat. We struggled just to get her to keep it on!

No comments: