This post was started by MAC on 12/8/08:
Fidget recently started nursery school and has been learning to behave in groups. She has regularly told us in earnest that, "I not push or hit at school," and reported to us after every successful trip to school that, "I not push or hit today!" We, of course, dutifully praise our little girl for behaving.
This morning as I was preparing to leave the house for work for the day, Fidget told us she planned to be good and not hit or push as usual. Then, making sure that Daddy behaves as well, said, "You not hit or push at work Daddy!"
After about a week of Fidget constantly reminding us not to push or hit, I began to wonder what was going on with her at school. Of course, I was afraid she'd suddenly become agressive and was getting in trouble at school. The teachers hadn't mentioned any misbehavior to me, but I was also wondering if they might be giving her time to settle into the mix at school, considering she'd joined the class mid-semester.
Yet, after nearly a week of hearing her warnings, I asked the teachers if she was acting out at school. They laughed and said, "No, she's our 'lover' in the class. But that IS what she hears all day. She likes to give hugs to students who aren't so eager to receive them, and their reaction is to shove her away. So, she's repeating what we're telling the other kids."
By the way, it's May, and Fidget has a routine for seeing her Dad off to work every morning. She has to open the door for him and see him out to the car. And every single day since December, she sends him off with the same advice.
But now she evidently feels the need to vary the routine slightly. One morning last week, issuing her usual advice, she added in her best tone of admonishment, "No pushing or hitting at work, Daddy. I don't want to hear it, you understand? Ok, I DON'T want to hear about it."
Um, you think she's been warned about poor behavior lately?
Thursday, May 07, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment