Monday, April 14, 2008

"....I FIDGET!"

As I share this story, I realize that I'll be owning up to yet another moment that qualifies me for a mother-of-the-year nomination.

A couple of weeks ago we were having the lunch of champions. You know-- taking advantage of the drive through at the golden arches. As I placed our order into the squawky box, I specified that the Happy Meal was for a toddler girl to assure that there would be an appropriate "valuable prize" inside the box. Then I was corrected from the backseat.

Fidget: "No! Mommy! No!"
Me: "No what, Fidget?"
Fidget: "No! Not for a girl."
Me: "What do you mean, not for a girl? Isn't the Happy Meal for you? or should I order one for a boy instead of a girl?"
Fidget: "Yes, for me! It's for FIDGET(but she said her name)! Not a guhrl! For FIDGET!"

So, I dutifully drove forward about 2 feet, and spoke out the window again as if I were still placing the order. This time saying, "I'm sorry it's for Fidget not a girl." Which quieted the fury from the backseat.

Since then, we've heard various versions of this:

"I'm NOT a (monkey, silly goose...)! I Fidget!"

But if we jokingly call her "Fidget" she replies with, "I NOT Fidget, I (uses her name)!"

If nothing else, she's developing a strong sense of self.

3 comments:

Lok said...

lol!!! that is too cute!

Nanny and Pere said...

Fidget Conklin works for me :-) Has Nate earned a nickname yet?

Rhonda said...

I love it this time - when they start knowing who they are and how they fit into the family, but it makes it harder to talk about them in front of them. :-)