Tuesday, January 23, 2007

So, that does mean "Fish"

Fidget and her signs...Once again, she has amazed me. I had tried to teach her the sign for fish (both hands together and wiggle them back and forth), and she copied me once or twice but that was it. The next few times we saw her use the sign, we were either in the living room listening to music or eating dinner. Fidget would put her hands together in front of her and then twist from side to side at the waist. Since there was always music playing in the background whenever she did this, we thought that maybe she was just dancing. We couldn't figure out what else it could be.

Well today, Fidget and I had to wait at the car dealership while the car was being serviced. When we walked into the waiting area, we walked past a very large aquarium, but I wasn't paying any attention to it and didn't realize Fidget was. I moved to the other end of the room, and put Fidget in a chair to take her coat off. Once she got her arms free of the coat sleeves, she put her hands together and began to twist from the waist. So, I asked her if she wanted to dance. She looked at me like I was crazy, made the sign again, and pointed across the room to the aquarium. Then I helped her out of the chair and said, "Show me" And she ran over to the aquarium and made the sign again. So, somehow she got it. Or at least she used it right today!

The development of a child's mind...truly amazing to witness.

1 comment:

Lok said...

My word - what an impressive little one! I'm so proud of all of y'all!