Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Following the Rules

Linus and I were at home this past weekend while Fidget and Kd were at a classmate's birthday party.  The weather wasn't so great, so we were inside.  Linus wanted to watch something on TV.  Lately, Transformers and the Avengers are the big draws.  There are age-appropriate cartoons available on-demand through Netflix that we will watch a couple episodes at a time.  Linus is also aware that there are "real-person" versions of Transformers (i.e., major movie productions) and he keeps asking to watch the Transformers movies on Netflix.  We keep telling him "no" because they are for bigger kids.

On this afternoon, Linus was a little cranky and probably in need of a nap, and he was determined to watch the Transformers movie.  We went back and forth a few times with him asking, me saying, "no," and telling him he needed to be a little older.  Then, he got smart.  He has an early reader book with a very basic plotline from the same movie that is available on Netflix.  We have read that book with him many times.  Kd has previously told the kids that for any movie based on a book, they must read the book first before they can watch the movie.  So, what does Linus tell me very sternly?  "Dad, I read the book, so I can watch the movie.  Mom said that's the rule and I read the book!!!"  Despite a good argument, he still didn't get to watch the movie.

No comments: