Thursday, April 16, 2009

Weighing in on Weighing in

This has been due since March 4th.

Our little guy went back to the doctor for a weigh in. He had gained weight. At this visit he weighted in at 21 lbs. 9 oz. So, in a month's time he'd managed to gain 10 oz. GREAT! Does it matter that 8 of those ounces were probably from the 3-4 cups of ovaltine we'd given him that morning and were more than likely voided with the subsequent diaper change???

The good news is that the weight gain was enough to bump him into the 10th percentile for weight, which means we are pleased enough to do nothing more than encourage the little man to eat. 10th percentile remains our goal. If we creep down to the 5th percentile again, then we will have to consider running tests to see if there are any underlying problems that need to be identified. For now, we are left to ponder if we ended up with a child who truly isn't into eating or if this is just his most successful control maneuver.

For the record, his diet consists of Ovaltine & string cheese. I've rarely seen him refuse a cookie or anything sweet, but it has happened. We have occasional success with oatmeal, yogurt, mac 'n cheese, pancakes, waffles, french fries, chicken nuggets, and mandarin oranges, but it's not a given that he'll eat any of those things if offered to him. So, while we're trying to increase the menu options, we're still open to suggestions. If we can get him to eat two meals a day, I feel we've had quite the banner day.

And yes, I do realize that all of you will be in line to remind me of these days when he's a teenager and we're taking 2nd and 3rd jobs just to keep enough food in the house for him. At the moment, I'm actually looking forward to that day.

2 comments:

Rhonda said...

We are still right there with you, actually we aren't doing as well as you. I haven't posted it yet -but Jackie weighed in at only 25lbs at her 3 year check up. We are still at the 5th percentile in both height and weight!

Lok said...

I wish I had some brilliant insight to share. I have an equally picky eater with our boy, and it drives me crazy. If it wasn't for "chips and cheese" and plain pasta, he would starve to death.

I honestly don't know where he falls in the height/weight charts. I didn't even ask at his 3yo checkup. I figured I had enough to worry about.

Anyway, I really do know how you feel about wishing the boy would eat more. Yes, it's nice that he'll eat you out of house and home when he's 15. Blah blah blah. Right NOW, all you see are all the things he isn't eating. I just have to keep getting people to remind me that now isn't forever and that things will get better.

So, Boo, just remember that now isn't forever. Things will get better!!! They all go thru phases of eating and not eating, and our kids apparently have longer not-eating phases.

In the meantime, is he a dipper? Veggies and dip. Chips and dip. Heck, string cheese and dip. Ranch dip or a homemade bean dip that has been doctored with enough sour cream to make it kid friendly. My Mr. Picky won't eat dip, but there's no harm in trying with yours!