Thursday, June 12, 2008

Amen, Sister!

Drivers in the Northeast really irk me. I don't think I posted a blog entry, but last summer I quit driving into NYC. After spending a lovely morning at the Central Park Zoo with friends, I spent another 4 hours trying to make the hour (with no traffic) trip home. Sitting in traffic is one thing; insane, thoughtless, wreckless drivers is completely another.

And don't even get me started on people who can not manage to park their cars within marked parking spaces.

My rant does have a point: I get an email newsletter with information about local activities for kids. The mother who runs this service writes a blog "My thoughts" which is included at the end of the newsletter. After reading hers today, I wanted to call and offer to help her pay for her suggested project. Here are her thoughts:

I am thoroughly losing my patience with people who don’t STOP at stop signs. (For that matter, the ones who don’t even slow down REALLY tick me off.) There is a challenging three way stop configuration at the end of my street. I say CHALLENGING because the concept of “STOP” seems to be way beyond the intellectual and physical capabilities of many drivers. Is “Driver Education” no longer covering the laws of traffic signage? Oh don’t get me started! I’m considering posting some additional signage at the end of my street, to encourage more socially acceptable behavior. Which of the slogans below do you think would be most effective? Picture these sayings mounted right under the stop sign.

If you can READ, STOP here!
Respect Thy Neighborhood
If you won’t STOP, at least slow down!
HONK if you are TOO important to STOP!
Stop Here! (Self Declared VIPs need only slow imperceptibly)
Privileged? Entitled? Just Running Late? Stopping Optional.
THANKYOU for STOPPING.
Thoughtless? Illiterate? Ignorant? Stopping Optional.
Stopping Optional ONLY for Ambulances, Fire Trucks, Police Cars & Pregnant Women in Labor.
Wanna be Famous? This stop sign monitored by live YouTube web cam. WAVE to your friends and neighbors!
Yes, we admire your fancy car…could you please respect our safety?
STOP! ARRET! PARE! ALTO!
Obey Thy Conscience
Mommy, did you just break the law?
Stop Sign on Strike. Sign Declares “I get no respect.”
George Washington Stopped Here. Why Can’t You?
Thanks for Stopping, you’re a mensch!
YES, you can! (Stop that is).

1 comment:

Nanny and Pere said...

Maybe "rail cars" is the answer :-)

I sympathize w/ your traffic insanity for the "no stoppers" but the other day I had just the opposite experience. I sat behind an idiot at the red light who was trying to turn left. He sat through FOUR (as in 4) light changes w/o easing out into the street so he could turn once the last car was through the intersection. I was ready to push him on out into the street!