Monday, June 18, 2007

Babbling and singing

Fidget is still babbling much more than talking. Sometimes, particularly after she has a playdate with other friends, I get a little worried that she's not talking more than she is. I have to remind myself that she will talk, in her own time, and that once she starts talking, I'll probably long for the days when she was a little quieter! But for now, as much as we try to encourage her, we can still only get her to repeat the last word we say for the most part. And if you give her a choice of two things, she will almost always choose the second option:

Do you want pancakes or eggs for breakfast?
Eggs!
Do you want eggs or pancakes?
Cakes!

But every now and then she'll surprise us. Sunday, she said her first spontaneous two words: Daddy's pillow. She was snuggling in bed with her dad and wanted it, of course. The only other two word phrase we get out of her is "Thank you." But yesterday as Mark left for work, I swear that she stood at the top of the stairs and said to him, "Bye, bye Big Guy!" Now, I know that the "Big Guy" had to be babble. She's certainly never heard anyone refer to him as that, as far as we know, and as hard as I tried, I couldn't get her to repeat it again. But babble or not, it cracked me up.

She's also begun to sing with me this weekend. She started with No, No, No your boat. But she's worked her way through to Row, Row, Row. She's also started to sing-a-long to Old MacDonald when I get to the E-I-E-I-O's, and the only animal that she puts on the farm is a duck, but that's because we have a book with one verse of Old MacDonald, but it only has ducks too, so you can't blame her for that.




2 comments:

Nanny and Pere said...

Make sure, please, to get her singing on video :) It's priceless.

Do you remember Maggie lying in bed between W and LA singing "Deep in the Heart of Texas"?

Lok said...

Hey - at least you've got some talking going on! :-) We're taking the wee man to the ENT on Thursday to make sure that his ears are clear. If so, (which I think they are), then we'll have to assume that he's a REALLY late talker. I hope speech therapy isn't necessary. We shall see!