Kd got me an APPLE iPad for Christmas last year (after first giving me one she made from a 99 cent notebook, aka the "original, original iPad"). Like the early iPad reviews said would happen, I soon found I could do all the things I didn't know I needed to do before I had the iPad, as well as some of the things we used to do on our laptop computer becoming easier to do. Fidget and Linus also discovered that there were things they could do on the iPad, like play games, doodle and make music and funny voice recordings, and take silly pictures of themselves.
After a few months, I found some business applications, and I started the process of connecting the iPad to my work e-mails and network to be able to use it for work. One of the company's requirements is that you have to enable a passcode to access the iPad after the screen locks; if you enter the code wrong too many times, the iPad will wipe the contents clean automatically. I enbled the code (without the auto-erase part) before requesting access to the company network to see how I would like it and if it was going to be a hassle. One morning soon after, I put the iPad down on the kitchen island to go do something. When I came back it was missing. I quickly found Fidget tucked away in a corner of the dining room, rapidly punching in numbers on the code entry keypad, trying to gain access to the iPad so that she could make a drawing. She demanded the code and was very upset with me! I explained to both Linus and Fidget that from then on, they had to ask Kd or me for help unlocking the iPad to use it.
I've since connected the iPad to work, and the kids are good about not trying to break the code by entering numbers. But, they still periodically ask what the code is, and we tell them they can't have it.
Linus has had a few things on his mind lately, including mortality as a result of our cat dying this past spring, and one of his good friend's grandfather passing suddenly. His biggest concerns merged early one morning this summer when, standing next to my side of the bed waiting for me to get up, he very earnestly asked, "Daddy, when you get close to dying, will you give me the code for the iPad?"
Tuesday, September 18, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment