Linus had his 15 month check up yesterday. And I now realize I haven't posted about any of his check ups since his 6 month check up, so here are the stats:
6 months: 28.25 in. 17.13 lb.
9 months: 30 in. 18.13 lb.
10.5 months: 19.8 lb.
12 months: 31 in. 20.1 lb.
15 months: 31.25 in. 20.15 lb.
6 months: 28.25 in. 17.13 lb.
9 months: 30 in. 18.13 lb.
10.5 months: 19.8 lb.
12 months: 31 in. 20.1 lb.
15 months: 31.25 in. 20.15 lb.
So, as you can see, our guy is a little peanut. He's just not that into eating. Normally I wouldn't worry about it. I figure the kid will not let himself starve, and then I try to understand how foodies like us ended up with a kid who's not such a great eater. But then the doctor pointed out "the chart." I have a love/hate relationship with this chart. I loved it when Fidget continuously held "off the chart" for her height and settled in at average for her weight. But I began to dread seeing it when my son, who appears perfectly healthy in all other aspects, started falling below the 10th percentile around 9 months. I chalked it up to the fact that we were still trying to switch him to solid foods and hadn't found many that he liked. We did a weight check 6 weeks later, and he was doing better, and eating more solids. We were moving back up to the 10th percentile. 12 month check up: minor weight gain but still holding at 10th percentile. I began to worry slightly less.
But at yesterday's check up, we had another weigh in with little weight gain, and even his height growth has started to slow down. Now both sit slightly above 5th percentile on that chart.
The doctor isn't "too worried" about it at this point. He looks fine developmentally. He's walking, climbing, babbling, imitating behavior, beginning to use his sign language. He interacts well. We'll do another weight check in a month. In the meantime, I'm supposed to do everything opposite of the way we're supposed to eat. I'm to drench his food in butter or oil. Give him fruit dipped in cream. Give him milkshakes. Fill him up on smoothies with cream and fruit. Give him full-fat everything. But here's the deal: I'm doing that already. hmm.
3 comments:
How is it possible that our children are so similar? Seriously.
Same issues with Tooter, so I can totally relate to what you're dealing with. Unfortunately for us, he's still an extremely picky eater. But, the good news is that he see very tiny signs here and there that reassure us that he'll eat more than just plain pasta one of these days. :-)
Hang in there. We'll laugh with each other when these boys are 16 and we can't keep enough food in our house to feed them.
Remember too that measuring a kid's height is a "shot in the dark" at times. Depends on who's doing it, whether he's lying down, etc...
Order the boy a doberge :-)
We are right there with you babe! Jackie has been on a high fat, high calorie, high protein diet for about a year now -- with very little progress. She will be 3 next month and still wears 18 - 24 month clothes. I have had to get rid of most 18 month stuff because we have started potty training and so many of them had snaps between the legs....hard enough to use a potty, then start trying to unsnap first. :-)
J weighed in at the end of last year at 24 pounds........even with all the extra fat / calories - she only gained 2 pounds in 6 months.
It's not easy preparing meals two ways - one for each child - but it can be done and hopefully for only a short time period.
Post a Comment