Wednesday, January 30, 2008

All things Hannah

I have a moment, so I'm hoping to complete a post on one of the many, many posts I've been adding to my things-that-need-to-be-noted list.

Last summer one of Fidget's playmates welcomed a sister named Hannah. We went to visit and meet Baby Hannah not long after she was born. After that, if you asked Fidget what her brother's name should be, she would respond with an enthusiastic, "Hannah!"

A few weeks later, we were going through Fidget's closet to see what still fit and figure out what she would need as far as fall/winter clothing. Things that no longer fit, we put in a pile to take to Baby Hannah. One of the things I wanted Fidget to try on was a new pair of shoes Nanny had sent. But by that point, Fidget was no longer interested in playing model, and I was having a hard time getting her to cooperate. To entice her, I told Fidget that if she wouldn't try on the shoes I would put them in the pile of clothes to give to Baby Hannah. From that day forward, Fidget referred to those little black t-strap shoes as "Hannah shoes." When you ask Fidget what shoes she wants to wear, you can't refer to those as her "dressy" shoes. She won't know what you're talking about. You have to ask her if she wants to wear her sneakers or her "Hannah shoes."

And every single baby doll she has received since then has been named...wait for it..."Hannah", of course! There is one that is occasionally named "Rachel" after a favorite sitter, but this doll must have multiple personalities because most days, it is also "Hannah."

And if that obsession with the name Hannah was not enough...

One afternoon late in my pregnancy, we were in the waiting room at the car dealership for something to do done on the van. There was a TV in the room, and a tween was there watching an episode of Hannah Montana. That was all it took...Fidget was hooked. She has an incredible mind this one and doesn't forget much, and the next day, she was in front of our TV begging to watch Hannah. So, I added Hannah Montana to the TiVo list to have an episode as an alternative to muppets or cartoons. I have to admit, I was eager for a change myself! This child, at the age of 2, is obsessed with Hannah Montana. She sings along to the theme song. She dances around the room to every song Hannah performs on the show. So, a few weeks ago, I contributed even further to the obsession, and I downloaded a Hannah Montana album to my Ipod. Again, it was a welcome change to the other kiddie music we'd been listening to in the car. Sure it's pure bubble-gum pop, but it's catchy, it's positive, and it's the best $10 I've spent for my own entertainment--I can turn that music on, and in an instant, I have a happy child who is getting exercise from all the "dancing," and I can almost be guaranteed a fairly easy time of getting her down for bed because Fidget is so "played" out.

1 comment:

Nanny and Pere said...

Wonder what Nate's obsession will be?